Membership Types and Qualifications
There are five (5) different categories of memberships, one class of voting members and four classes of non-voting members. The designation, qualifications and rights of each class are as follows:
Voting Membership (Annual dues: $90) is open to all practicing paralegals and legal assistants who either:
CLICK HERE FOR VOTING MEMBER APPLICATION FORM
- Successfully completed a course of training as a paralegal either by a certificate or degree from an accredited school or program; or
- Who have completed a minimum of one (1) year of continuous employment as a paralegal by a licensed attorney, law office, governmental agency or other entity. The membership application must contain verification of education or employment.
If a Voting Member becomes unemployed or takes a leave of absence at any time during the period for which he/she has paid annual dues as a voting member, such member may renew as a Voting Member for one additional year. Thereafter, they may become an Associate or Contributing Member.
The voting rights and privileges, as follows, shall vest exclusively in Voting Members of good standing, except as provided in this section.
- The right to vote on all matters submitted to vote at any annual or special membership meeting.
- The right to serve as an Officer or Director in the Association.
- The right to elect the Board of Directors and Officers of the Association.
- The right to adopt and amend the Articles of Incorporation.
- Student Membership - Non-Voting (Annual Dues: $60) is open to all persons currently enrolled or attending- either full or part-time- courses in paralegal studies or a law-related field at an accredited school or program. Members may renew as Student Members for a maximum period of five (5) years. Proof of current enrollment in such a program must be submitted with the membership application. (Enrollment in other educational programs does not qualify for this category.)
Students may renew membership under this class for one (1) additional year following completion of the student's course of study, provided such member is not employed or self-employed as a paralegal in a law-related field. Individuals employed or self-employed as a paralegal who are enrolled in a paralegal program must select the Voting or Associate Member Category.
- CLICK HERE FOR STUDENT MEMBER APPLICATION FORM
- Associate Membership - Non-Voting (Annual Dues: $95) any paralegal not eligible to be a Voting Member, graduates of a paralegal educational program not currently practicing as paralegals, retired or former Voting Members, and paralegal managers or administrators who spend less than 51% of their time on substantive legal work who are interested in supporting the paralegal profession may become an Associate Member upon the payment of the appropriate annual dues.
- CLICK HERE FOR ASSOCIATE MEMBER APPLICATION FORM
- Contributing Membership - Non-Voting (Annual Dues: $95) any individual employed by a legal service provider, educational institution, law firm, or other entity interested in supporting the paralegal profession may become a Contributing Member upon the payment of the appropriate annual dues. This class of membership is limited to individuals and membership benefits will only be extended to the contributing member and not to his/her employer or any co-workers.
CLICK HERE FOR CONTRIBUTING MEMBER APPLICATION FORM
- Institutional/Corporate Membership - Non-Voting (Annual Dues: $200) any educational institution, law firm, legal service provider or other entity that supports and promotes the professional interests and growth of paralegals in the Washington, DC, metropolitan area may become an institutional/corporate member upon the payment of the appropriate annual dues. This class restricts member benefits to only those employees or associates of the Institutional member that are physically based in the Washington, DC, metropolitan area.
- CLICK HERE FOR INSTITUTIONAL/CORPORATE MEMBER APPLICATION FORM